cognitive adventures of N385

Friday, January 30, 2015

Polly Wolly doodle all the day?

4:47 PM Posted by M³ No comments
I have done lots of doodling throughout my school career, some of which was scorned when it would be illustrated on homework assignments. And now, my actual homework is to doodle!
            I put on some music by Massive Attack and set a timer for thirty minutes. I initially drew a mountain terrain, which I’m sure was strongly influenced by the fact that I am currently in Arizona and that is the background scenery everywhere I go. My next doodle was what I typically draw first on anything: a slender tree with a bushel of scribbly leaves, surrounded by a couple flowers and some grass. In any situation, my doodles consist heavily of nature, especially flora. I continued with some sky details and then decided that I should diverge to other types of objects. When my mind went blank with what to fill the blank spots with, I ended my doodle with scattering spots within the mountains and surrounding the tree to add more depth/texture to the overall picture.




            The four “S” concepts are definitely notable in my doodle. Everything I drew was clearly utilizing spontaneity because they’re essentially all random thoughts going onto the paper (almost) instantly without much debate about whether or not you should depict that thought. At one point I did debate whether or not I should draw something, but with the surrender concept I realized I should just “give up” on that and go with the flow of my mind. With synchronicity, the picture of seemingly unrelated doodles comes together as a whole and creates a representation of my brain’s drifting mental images. At the end of the doodling process, the serendipity of knowing my mind’s earnest desires (I want to surround myself in nature, not stupid city buildings and air pollution) created a better understanding of where I really want to end up in the future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment