cognitive adventures of N385

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Class Take Away #1

6:56 PM Posted by M³ No comments
            I wasn’t entirely certain what I was expecting when I choose to take the class “Seeing Sideways”. I recalled the course description being intriguing, but it wasn’t fresh in my mind during the first class. Upon our initial meet-up, however, I became far more fascinated with what the future of this class will entail.
            What really interests me about this new media course is the general concept of viewing things in a different manner. Everyone’s perspective is different, though society as a whole tends to have limited and standard viewpoints. Since the starting of my college career, my mind has taken a great cognitive shift and I view many things in a very different outlook, both by how I used to see them and by how most people see them. I’m still not exactly sure what all this class will present me, but with what we have already discussed, I can tell that we will be expanding our creativity in a manner that will ultimately change our perspective on numerous things throughout our life.
            The professor, the lovely Beth Lykins, seems like the perfect individual to teach this course. Not only is she charming and obviously very creative, but she expressed the need to give direction toward help for any students that are experiencing hard stressors in their life. There is, unfortunately, a large percentage of college students who struggle with depression, among other things. I find it very compassionate that a professor would bring that up in class, because you never know who will need that type of help to become a happier, healthier person.
            When it was time for our break and we were told that we had to leave to room but had to remain in our chairs, I was very curious to see how it would turn out. Everyone appeared to happily grasp the opportunity to roll through the school hallways on a mobile desk. While I did not fully allow myself to enjoy the opportunity (my unfortunate shyness prevented me because I’m in a classroom full of people I don’t know), it was very entertaining to watch everyone else enjoy themselves, especially those who went beyond the second floor of our classroom. With this instance, I knew I was going to really love this class, even if it was reclusively admiring what was going on.
            When we were presented our assignments, my thoughts of loving this class were further confirmed. Being able to utilize our own creativity with liberating freedom gives homework an immensely positive connotation. I am actually excited to do my homework, and I feel like I won’t experience stress with this course.

            I was very close to withdrawing from this semester, but I decided to just be a part time student. I chose to keep this class on my schedule because I look forward to experiencing this unique setting with a unique professor, who will unfortunately not be with IUPUI after the spring term ends. All-in-all, I’m certain that seeing sideways with expand my mind even further.

0 comments:

Post a Comment