I
knew this particular class was going to be more intense than the others since
it was specifically scheduled to talk about one of the deepest part of a person’
psyche. Opening up about your fears takes a lot of courage and I wasn’t sure if
the class would be ready to handle all of the intimacy that was possibly going
to happen, but it seems that a lot of people have become comfortable within
their environment throughout this semester. Personally, I am not connected with
anyone in the classroom and it takes a lot of work for me to be able to open up
with anyone in general—and unfortunately, amidst my reluctant nervousness once
it was my turn to speak, my mind jumbled up and I stated only the basis of my fear.
In retrospect, if I had continued further with what was mentally rehearsed in
my head, I could have rambled about of a lot of things nestled underneath the
general worry that time is moving too fast, and honestly, I’m just not fully
ready to do that with people I don’t know so perhaps it was better that way.
I forgot to bring in my tangible representation of my
fear in class but I did show a picture. I was actually really upset that I left
it behind, but it was too late by the time I realized it. April 20th
was not the day to be stressed so I just let the disappointment slip from my
mind. I constructed an hourglass with a couple of jars, sand, superglue, yarn,
and coasters that I painted. Instead of being a steady stream of sand falling
to the other end, the sand pours down to represent that it feels like time is
moving way too fast. I feel like I’ll run out of time to do everything I want
to do and learn everything I want to learn.
It
seems some people are unhappy with how class went. I thought it went pretty
well, despite that a few people didn’t create physical mediums of their fear.
We don’t know anyone’s situation so we can’t be quick to judge… which is
something that was even brought up in class by Mr. Dobson. I am just impressed
that everyone was able to say something
about a concept that is so intrapersonal. Someone had mentioned that the class was
starting to feel a lot like group therapy, and while I agree with that notion
(not in a negative connation), this class is not group therapy, and therefore, I don’t think we should be
expected to give the entirety of hearts and souls to the class when it’s
something that could be very difficult for some people. However, I definitely
see a lot of heart and soul being poured out already, and there definitely
should be a little heart and soul showing in everything we create, speak, and
write.
I'm a little disappointed that I forget to
post this on time, but alas, wine tends to lull me out of my nocturnal
patterns.
0 comments:
Post a Comment